Saturday, July 18, 2009

Facing Fears

We went to Georgia the week of the 4th. It was fun to spend some time with the family, just wish more of them could have been there. We're a crazy bunch and it's never boring when we get together. On the 3rd, we took the kids to 6 Flags. Probably not the best idea doing it the day before the 4th of July especially considering many people got the 3rd off since the 4th was on a Saturday. The lines were long! The kids had a lot of fun anyway.
That morning before we left, I actually suggested leaving Sawyer home. Rides, not really his thing. There tend to be a lot of tears, even at water parks. Mike insisted that we take him anyway.
The day played out mostly like I thought, Sawyer sitting on the sidelines of the majority of the rides. He did ride a couple. As our little group made it's way toward the "American Scream Machine", Sawyer decides he wants to go. I ask him if he's sure, and he insists that he does in fact want to ride it. I think it may have been with a lot of encouragement from his cousins Will and Sam. These boys are fearless! Below is an excerpt of a description of the ride of Sawyer's choice.

"Experience the terror of timber. Considered one of the greatest rides in existence, The Great American Scream Machine is still one of the world's longest and tallest wooden roller coasters. Rocket along the banks of the Chattahoochee and manufacture some screams of your own."

So, as we proceed through the long lines, different conversations going between all of us, I look down to see Sawyer. My son is in tears. His face is red, crying, hands covering his face. I ask him, "Sawyer, what's wrong? Are you okay?".
"Mom, I'm so scared."
I reply, "Buddy, you don't have to ride it. It's your choice. We can get out of line right now.".
My son looks up at me with tears streaming down his face, "But Mom, I want to face my fears.".
The poor kid looked so pathetic, but it was one of those proud parental moments. So, when it came time to ride I went with him. He continued the crying, which turned into screaming for his life, for the entire ride. I held his hand, I tried to talk him through, he was oblivious to me. I just started to laugh. Nothing in my parental experience had ever been similar.
When the ride of terror ended, and we had come to a complete stop, the biggest smile came across his face. I asked, "Did you like it?". He vigorously shakes his head no. "No way! But I'm so proud of myself!"
My heart was about to burst! If you really know Sawyer, you will know that he is a very timid kid. He is not a thrill seeker. He stood in a line for over 30 minutes terrified of the unknown, of what was to come, but he faced it head on. Tears and all.
What a kid!
(We did get a picture after the ride was over with him in front of the roller coaster, but the camera is still in GA with Taylor. As soon as he gets home, I'll post it.)

2 comments:

chelon:) said...

what a great kid you raised. it is moments like these that you think...i must have done something right!! you are an awesome mom :)

Tami Harris said...

You GO Sawyer! I'm so, so proud of you! I just wish I could have been there to see it!