Thursday, June 19, 2008

Teenagers



I felt the need to say how much I enjoy my teenage boys. Don't get me wrong, there are challenges; skipping school, sneaking out the window for the late night toilet paper escapades, breaking curfew, roaming the neighborhood with "the gang", the call in the middle of the night saying, "can you come and get us? Mr. police officer would like to talk to you.", just to name a few, (these are the experiences I've had with my boys). It's like reliving the past. Dad, I can hear you laughing now and remember you often saying, "I hope when you
have kids they're just like you." I often find myself apologizing to Mike when he's frustrated, saying, "I don't know where they get it from!" Unfortunately I do, it's me. So the question is, are we the abnormal ones or is it Mike? (JK honey, you know I love you.) Anyway, maybe that's why I enjoy them so much. They take me back to the good 'ol days. I get to relive the good times through them and lend a sympathetic shoulder through the bad. I love that their friends come and hang out at our house, and eat our food. I always said I wanted my home to be just like the Soelberg's. The place where everyone chills. Monday night when I came home from work I almost didn't know what to do with myself. Landon had left for scout camp early that morning, and Taylor was spending the night at a friend's house. I was so sad. I've become accustomed to sitting and talking to them while they play video games until the wee hours of the morning. You'd think I'd cherish the sleep, but I really missed 'em. Those are some of my favorite times. I guess I realize that this time is precious, and they're not going to want me hanging around forever. It won't be long before they clue in that it's just not cool to hang out with their dumb 'ol embarrassing mom. For now, they still hug me in public, let me be in the same room when their friends are around, and will still accompany me on errands. My boys rock, (quite literally)!

2 comments:

Rick & Diana said...

Mike I blame Tiffany for any of the problems your kids might have. I have seen her in action and assisted for that matter. She was never very good at tossing a roll of toilet paper, eggs or letting us know when trouble was closing in. Rest assured that we knew when we no longer could hear her talking it was time to run because she had already ran to hide and did not let us know! Thanks Tiff for the memories!! Rick

The Hardy's said...

I beg your pardon! I was quite gifted in the areas of vandalism and I never left a man behind, (ok, maybe once or twice). Those were the days, weren't they? :P